Pages

Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Marathon Project

mar·a·thon
Pronunciation: \ˈmer-ə-ˌthän, ˈma-rə-\
Etymology: Marathon, Greece, site of a victory of Greeksover Persians in 490
b.c., the news of which was carried to Athens by a long-distance runner
Date: 1896
1 : a long-distance race: a : a footrace run on an open
course usually of 26 miles 385 yards (42.2 kilometers) b : a race other than a
footrace marked especially by greatlength 2 a : an endurancemcontest b :
something (as an event, activity, or session) characterized by great length or
concentrated effort

Marathons loom as incredibly intimidating feats over an average person such as myself. An ancient Grecian runner I am not. I'm just a college student that can barely collect enough concentrated effort to finish homework assignments.

After the jarring realization that I recently entered my final year of college however, I've decided to actively pursue some goals that have been hibernating in my mind for the past couple years. After successfully finishing a half marathon last fall, I knew that someday a full 26.2 miles would be in order. Now seems like as good a time as ever.

I've got a training schedule, good running shoes, the Abilene Eisenhower marathon in April, and a varying degree of sanity to help me complete the task. The actual date for the Eisenhower marathon hasn't been posted online yet, but it's sometime between early to mid April. I figure I have roughly 30-31 weeks to train, which should theoretically provide plenty of time to prepare. Theoretically. I intend to upload my training schedule, once I figure out how...

Anyway, so the marathon is going to be my project this semester/year. I figure at the very least it will give me something to regularly blog about.

Today I ran 2 miles on this lovely fall afternoon. Until tomorrow!

Edit: Here's my marathon training schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment