Pages

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Down on Main Street

I trekked north back to Atlantic this weekend to spend some quality time with the family. The climate as I drove went from deliriously hot to slightly less insanely hot. But still unnecessarily humid. I just love it when my sweaty clothes cling to my body and I feel as though I've got a lifetime membership to a global sauna. Have I ever mentioned I'm not a huge fan of summer?

For our Friday night out on the town, my parents and I ambled down to Main Street Grill for dinner. Main Street Grill is probably the nicest restaurant in Atlantic. Back in the day, flocks of gussied-up teenage schoolboys and girls would dine at Main Street before high-school dances. Main Street is a family-owned restaurant housed in a 1890 refurbished historical hotel. The interior is of Victorian Architecture, stenciled wood beaming, wild-life trophies and hand-painted murals. Each room has individual decor with displays of a local artist. The seven-page menu ranges from a 1/2 lb "Cardiac Burger" to Sicilian Pasta. Additionally, the owner offers a fresh supply of homemade fudge varieties, classically delicious desserts, and crunchy caramel corn when in season.


Please take note of the large buffalo head mounted on the wall. Oh yes.

My mom and I shared the Grilled Chicken Pita. A plethora of grilled zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes and chicken mounted on a pita and secured with cheeses. Was quite tasty but still moderately healthful. My dad got the "Quesadilla with a Kick" but I don't have a picture of his plate.


Dessert was naturally in order as an ending to our fine dining experience. We ordered the Fried Bread Pudding. The house bread pudding melded apples, raisins, nuts and bread into a cohesive mass which is then fried, rolled in cinnamon sugar and topped with caramel sauce and whipped cream.


We were all quite fond of the combination of crunchy exterior crust and soft doughy middle. Tasted like a fried cinnamon roll. Who wouldn't like that?

1 comment:

  1. Wait. Do they actually call it the cardiac burger or do you call it that? Just wondering how that marketing might work out. Bread pudding definitely looks like a brownie. Wow.

    ReplyDelete